Let’s face it, few foods can really top the white potato in providing that silky and comforting satisfaction. There are a few substitutes, celery root works the best.
Preparation time: 20 minutes Yields: 2 portions
- 2 small celery roots (celeriac) or 1 big, peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil (optional)
- Boil celeriac in water until tender, about 10 minutes. (It should easily pierced through to the other side with a fork when done. The pieces, however, should not be so tender that they break apart.)
- Drain and place celeriac in a bowl with remaining ingredients. Mash until well mixed but still chunky. Garnish with additional thyme.