Fruit-based bread makes for the perfect weekend breakfast. This vegan banana bread recipe takes out the added sugars, eggs, and dairy but still keeps the deliciousness intact. It is moist and best served warm with a jam (no added sugar) or coconut butter. Enjoy!
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (spelt or buckwheat flour or oatmeal work too)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond, rice milk or water
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 very ripe big bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup dried apricots (or figues), chopped
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the wheat, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, apricot, coconut flakes, walnuts and flaxseeds. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until relatively pureed. To the bananas, add the milk, honey, oil and vanilla extract. Stir until evenly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. The mixture should be a thick batter but still able to be poured.
- Pour into a greased bread pan and cook in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Enjoy warm or cool.